need help


Find CCDC programs to help assist in advocating for you or someone you know with a disability.



Keep up to date with disability rights activities you care about. Choose a few topics or sign up for all of them!



Find the most common issues people with disabilities face and how CCDC can help.


City of Federal Heights



Loyd Short, II, et al. v. The City of Federal Heights, Civil Action No.: 09-CV-00561-WYD-MJW (D.C. Colo. 2009)


Federal Heights refuses to provide interpreters and other auxiliary aids for deaf and hard of hearing individuals.

Federal Heights Police failed to ensure effective communication by not requesting a sign language interpreter for a deaf individual during a vehicle search and subsequent citation.

Federal Heights Municipal Court refused to provide sign language interpreters to ensure effective communication during court proceedings related to the citation.  The deaf individual’s family members were inappropriately asked to provide interpretation during the proceedings.  The deaf individual was asked to sign court documents without being provided the effective communication that would allow him to understand what he was signing.

This results in the denial of due process for deaf and hard of hearing individuals due to the lack of effective communication.


The Complaint was filed March 16, 2009.

The case resolved December, 2009.

Available Document

Media Coverage

    Important Notice
    CCDC’s employees and/or volunteers are NOT acting as your attorney. Responses you receive via electronic mail, phone, or in any other manner DO NOT create or constitute an attorney-client relationship between you and the Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition (CCDC), or any employee of, or other person associated with, CCDC. The only way an attorney-client relationship is established is if you have a signed retainer agreement with one of the CCDC Legal Program attorneys.

    Information received from CCDC’s employees or volunteers, or from this site, should NOT be considered a substitute for the advice of a lawyer. DOES NOT provide any legal advice, and you should consult with your own lawyer for legal advice. This website is a general service that provides information over the internet. The information contained on this site is general information and should not be construed as legal advice to be applied to any specific factual situation.

    A+ A-